Sunday, February 9, 2014

A more "Paleo" lifestyle?

I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember.
I was never a "skinny" kid, I was always a chubby kid - but I was never as overweight as I am now.
Since my son was born in 2010, I never got back to pre-baby size and actually yo-yoed quite a bit, getting within 20 lbs of my pre-pregnancy weight and then ballooning back up, gaining 25 lbs from that point.

For me, I know that tracking my diet is key, along with more intense exercise, but I've failed miserably at sticking to it. Even last year, walking 20+ miles a week in preparation for my 60-mile, 3-Day walk, I didn't lose - because, while I was exercising, it wasn't very intense and my eating habits were not all that healthy.

I did well a few years back when I cut back on carbs. No, I didn't eliminate them or do an Atkins-style diet, I simply tried to cut out sugars and unneeded carbs most days of the week. I felt better, I lost weight and I noticed that I snacked less because the foods I ate weren't simply "fillers".

Like most, carbs are my kryptonite. So I've been debating lately whether or not to try to incorporate more of a "Paleo" lifestyle. In all honesty, I'm not looking at is as a quick fix, or even a diet for that matter. I'm actually just thinking that my whole family could benefit if we start eating less processed junk and more real foods.

So, last night I pinned a TON of Paleo recipes, guides, etc. I think I'll give it a shot, even if it's a slow, phased-in process. My biggest struggle will be replacing rice, potatoes and pasta for everyone. I'm a veggie lover, but the kids and husband aren't as gung-ho about using cauliflower as a potato substitute or spaghetti squash as a pasta substitute. But, I can try - if they don't like it, I'm sure some grains and starches won't be horrible (for them), but if we can build our meals to incorporate more roasted vegetables, fruits and meats, I think it will benefit us all in the long run.


-A

No comments:

Post a Comment